Vapers are rightfully angry, anxious and shocked. What can you do?
Posted on June 22, 2020
ANGRY? YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE. Vapers are outraged, anxious and shocked at the sudden announcement banning nicotine for vaping.
For many, vaping was the only quitting aid that worked. They feel great, are saving money and are enjoying it. For many it is a lifesaver. And now this! Just look at some of the distressing comments on our last post here.
Suddenly, with 2 weeks notice, importing nicotine into Australia is effectively banned and carries a $220,000 fine. However deadly cigarettes are available at every corner store. Crazy!
Why is the government ignoring the scientific evidence? Vaping is the most popular and most effective quitting aid available and could save hundreds of thousands of Australian lives.
Many people think it is because the government is putting the tobacco tax before public health. Sadly, many are losing (have lost) confidence in our leaders and democracy.
Most vapers have told me that they will go back to smoking if nicotine is banned. It is just too hard without it
For some this will be a death sentence. Smoking kills 2 in 3 long term users. Others will turn to a flourishing black market, which will create further problems.
Big tobacco is celebrating. Criminal gangs are gearing up for a new industry. Vape shops will soon be closing.
Now is the time to act
Let’s channel the anger into something productive. Here are some suggestions.
DONATE TO THE FIGHTING FUND
We have to fight this decision. It is unscientific, breaches human rights and and will cost lives. LVA, ARVIA and PPHA have set up a fund for a legal challenge and public relations campaign. ATHRA strongly supports this fundraiser, but is not able to be involved because of our funding policy. Please make a donation here today.
SIGN THE PETITION
Senator Matt Canavan and George Christensen MP have broken ranks with Greg Hunt and set up a petition to oppose the ban here: www.vapepetition.com.au.
Please sign this today and ask your friends and family to sign as well.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL MP
Please write a short letter to your federal and state MPs and tell them what this means for you. Have you tried everything else to quit? Was vaping the only thing that worked? How has your health improved? What will you do if you can’t get nicotine?
Keep it short. Less than a page. Be polite. Tell it from the heart. Find your local MP’s contact details here on the Legalise Vaping’s website.
How to tell your story on the phone or in person.
- Be polite, ask to speak to your Member of Parliament.
- If you can speak to your MP great! If not, talk to their staff. Make it personal to them by asking them if they know any smokers and tell your own quitting story. Ask them if they wish the smoker they knew had the same opportunity.
- Explain that vaping in Australia has just been banned out of nowhere, and it is the only thing keeping 300,000 people off cigarettes.
- Tell them vaping is legal in every Western democracy except Australia and that smoking rates have stopped going down in Australia in recent years, but in countries with vaping they are reducing.
- Let them know that many doctors support vaping because it is 95% less harmful than cigarettes and that Australian medical groups recommend it as a way to get off cigarettes.
- Let them know that Greg Hunt promised that there wouldn’t be any more changes, but lied.
- Remind them that cigarettes are legal and are available, so it makes no sense that something that is less harmful than smoking is illegal.
- Ask them what they are going to do to help you, a local voter. Nail them down on a follow-up action – specifically ask if they will raise this issue with the Prime Minister and get this absurd ban overturned.
Let them know that you are normally a swinging voter, but that you were one of the many ‘Quiet Australian who voted for them for the first time at the last election’ (even if you didn’t).
Tell them that this is the only issue that you, your family and friends are talking about.
RING OR WRITE TO GREG HUNT
Tel: 03-5977 9082
Send an email via his website here.
MAKE A VIDEO
- Tell your personal story, from the heart
- Use natural light wherever possible. Have the light coming from in front of you (not behind you)
- Film horizontally, not vertically
- Keep it brief. No more than 30-60 seconds. Less is always more
- Post your video on social media with the hashtag #VapingSavedMe
- Tag your local MP and Greg Hunt: twitter @GregHuntMP and @scottmorrisonmp; facebook @Greg.Hunt.MP
“My name is Susan and I smoked cigarettes for 35 years. I tried everything to quit but nothing worked. Then I developed emphysema. The day I tried vaping I had my last cigarette. Vaping is the only thing that has ever worked for me. My breathing has improved and I am saving $400 per week. I have been so anxious since I heard that nicotine will be banned, I will have no choice but to go back to smoking. Please Minister Hunt, we’re asking you to save our lives”.
POST OR SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share items on this topic regularly, if on Twitter be sure to include @scottmorrisonmp @greghuntmp as well as media and other influencers such as TV and radio presenters. Be sure to use the hashtags #VapingSavedMe #auspol #unbanvaping #DontBeAHunt
SIGN THE LVA PETITION
Legalise Vaping Australia’s petition is available here and will be presented to Parliament. Please sign it today if you have not already done so.
CALL TALKBACK RADIO
Commercial radio is powerful. Click here for the contact details of Australian radio stations
WRITE TO YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER
Letters to the editor in the local newspapers get read by local MPs and get people talking. Keep it short, 150 words. We need to put this critical public health issue on the public agenda
Don't give up! If we all show the government how strongly we feel and the harm this will cause, we have every chance of reversing it. MPs will listen if we make enough noise. Let's get started!
Posted by Colin Mendelsohn, email@example.com