- The tragic outbreak in the US of severe lung poisoning due to the use of inhaled black market THC (cannabis) oils contaminated with a toxic thickening agent, vitamin E acetate. The Australian media has typically framed this as being caused by nicotine vaping.
- Australia’s Chief Medical Officer and State Health Officers and the Australian Medical Association have issued statements misleading the public.
- ATHRA prepared a detailed and critical response to the Chief Medical Officer's statement, signed by 31 leading Australian health professionals and distributed it widely to the media and all members of parliament.
- Bans on (non-tobacco) flavours in the US. President Trump has led the way federally, followed by Michigan and New York states (commencing in 2 weeks) and California.
- San Francisco has become the first city to ban the sale of vaping products.
- India has announced a complete ban on vaping
- Australian vape shops are reporting significantly reduced sales.
- The Today Show
- Today Tonight
- Channel 7. The Latest
- Sky News
- Also The Project, SBS News, A Current Affair (next week)
- RN Drive
- Radio Sydney (start 2:59)
- 2JJJ The Hack (start 9:30)
- ABC Adelaide
- Also ABC Illawarra, ABC Darwin, 3CR, Hit 105.5 Coffs Harbour
- Spectator Australia
- SBS The Feed
- Medical Republic
- The Guardian
- AOD Media Watch
- Australian Doctor
- Australian Journal of Pharmacy
- NewsMail Bundaberg
- Visit or write to your local federal (and state) MP and tell your story
- Write to your local newspaper
- Encourage your friends to do the same
- Make a tax-deductible donation to ATHRA here to support our efforts. We cannot accept donations from vape shops or the industry, but any private individual can contribute. Donations of any size are welcome.
ATHRA supporter newsletter September 2019